Under a consignment partnership, Ombligo will refurbish and remarket its partners’ used IT equipment for resale, after data erasure. As Ombligo sells its partners’ refurbished electronics, we retain a remarketing fee and remit the majority of the proceeds back to our partners.
Ombligo’s process under such a partnership follows the following steps:
- Inventory and Itemize Equipment prior to pickup. Ombligo’s partners may either elect to have Ombligo prepare a detailed inventory list, or will put together a detailed inventory list prior to scheduling a pickup with Ombligo. Silver and Gold partners may also elect to simply itemize equipment earmarked for processing by Ombligo without having to put together a detailed list.
- Package and Pickup Equipment. Ombligo’s partners either elect to have Ombligo arrange for the packaging and delivery of equipment to an Ombligo facility or will arrange for the packaging and delivery of equipment to an Ombligo facility.
- Receive and Visually Inspect Equipment. Once equipment is received, Ombligo unpacks and reconciles equipment received from its partners with the original inventory list compiled prior to pickup. Any discrepancies are pointed out to Ombligo’s partners. Ombligo will only start processing excess IT equipment received once its partners have signed off on the list of equipment received.
- Test Equipment. Received equipment, after visual inspection, is tested using Ombligo’s proprietary Testing Inventorying and Provisioning System (T.I.P.S.). Equipment that passes testing is made available for sale, either as received by partners, as parts, or after upgrades. Equipment that fails testing is either repaired when the economics make sense, or dismantled to harvest parts of value. Parts and/or units that cannot be resold or upcycled are responsibly recycled, in accordance with the E-Waste Recycling section (Note: hyperlink to corresponding section) of our website.
- Data erasure. Ombligo sanitizes data from all equipment units and their corresponding parts immediately after testing. Data sanitization does not only focus on Hard Disk Drives (HDDs), but also on other server and computer parts that may contain electronic data (such as remote access cards and RAID controllers), as well as on physical data sanitization (removing stickers and tags, etc.). For more information on Ombligo’s specific data sanitization processes, please refer to the Certified Data Sanitization section (Note: hyperlink to corresponding section) of our website. Partners are provided with a letter of indemnification for all data sanitization, responsible electronic recycling and secure data destruction services performed by Ombligo, detailed by specific part and/or unit serial number.
- Remarket and Sell Electronics. Partners’ equipment is made available for sale following testing and data sanitization. Ombligo carefully analyzes the secondary market for used IT equipment to identify and capitalize on the latest trends, and to optimize its partners’ excess IT equipment configurations. Equipment is very rarely remarketed in the exact configuration with which it was received, enabling partners to maximize the value from their excess IT equipment and used data center equipment.
- Reporting Ombligo provides its partners with detailed periodical reports that summarize each partner’s activity during a period. These reports help many of Ombligo’s partners to set, track and achieve environmental goals.
For one-time projects and Copper partnerships, Ombligo purchases excess IT equipment and used data center equipment outright from some partners. Under this scenario, Ombligo pays upfront for the purchase of such equipment.
While such equipment follows the same process as equipment received under a consignment partnership, Copper partners will only receive 1) remuneration for the assessed value of their equipment, and 2) a letter of indemnification for all data sanitization, responsible electronic recycling and secure data destruction services performed by Ombligo, detailed by specific part and/or unit serial number.
Ombligo remarkets used IT equipment using various sales channels, including both direct (wholesale), as well as online (retail) channels. Ombligo has a strong “pulse” on the market and uses various direct and online sales channels to remarket excess IT equipment and used data center equipment. Ombligo looks at popular configurations in various verticals and on different channels, and looks at equipment units received on their own (whole analysis), their individual components on their own (parts’ analysis), as well as these units reconfigured using different parts (upgrade analysis). By doing this, Ombligo is able to really understand how to extract the most value out of each unit of equipment received and processed.