Ombligo has a very strong commitment to reduce electronic waste (e-waste). With that in mind, Ombligo’s number one priority is to remarket and sell electronics in the secondary market for used IT equipment.
For used IT and used data center equipment which does not have any resale value, Ombligo carefully analyzes such equipment’s different components to determine whether any of its parts may have resale value. Ombligo then dismantles such equipment and harvests any parts which do have resale value. These parts are then either sold on their own, or used for upgrades and/or repairs of other equipment.
For other parts or units which do not have any resale value, Ombligo will first consider whether these could be upcycled. Examples of this include making office desks using a stack of clean, unsellable server chassis and a piece of plywood, as well as having repurposed unsellable voltage regulator modules that are used as business card holders.
It is only those equipment units and parts which have no resale value and which cannot be upcycled that are responsible recycled. As part of its ISO:14001 Certification, Ombligo regularly monitors its downstream vendors to make sure that any materials sent to these vendors are being handled and recycled responsibly.
Ombligo’s commitment to an audited environmentally responsible e-waste recycling process is defined by the following areas:
- Explicit Commitment to Maximize Reuse of IT Equipment: Ombligo’s number one priority is to remarket and sell electronics in the secondary market for used IT equipment. Ombligo’s parts vs. whole analysis allows for maximization of reuse.
- Upcycling Strategy: Units and/or equipment parts with no resale value are considered for upcycling/repurposing in an effort to minimize the number of parts and/or units earmarked for responsible electronic recycling.
- Sustainability Strategy: Deployment of “Ombligo Bins” to collect partners’ e-waste that is earmarked for responsible electronic recycling.
- Electronic Recycling Process: Certified environmentally-friendly electronic recycling process that regularly monitors downstream vendors.
- Sustainability Reports: Detailed reporting for partners showing recycled e-waste weights, broken down by type of raw material responsibly recycled.
Ombligo responsibly recycles a wide variety of used IT and used data center equipment, including, but not limited to:
- Storage equipment
- Networking equipment
- Audiovisual equipment
- Desktops and laptops
- Power distribution units
- Printers and copiers
- Telecom equipment
- Medical equipment
Responsible recycling of e-waste prevents the release of environmentally-harmful toxic byproducts. Ombligo helps its partners avoid monetary fines and penalties levied against companies that improperly dispose of their e-waste.
Ombligo also maintains security and preserves its partners’ confidentiality and their customer data throughout the electronic recycling process.